Burpsuite: The Latest Tool For The Hackers & Why You Should Know About It
Are you aware of what is the latest and being widely used set of tool available in the market for hackers and how do they use it and breach (unethical hackers) or secure (white-hat hackers) your system?
Burpsuite, yeah you know it, right, and if not, no issues with that as well.
Actually, Burpsuite is a set of tools and a Java-based Web Penetration Framework. It has become an industry standard suite of tools used by information security professionals to identify vulnerabilities and verify attack vectors for web-based applications.
Those who are don’t aware about penetration, it is kind of a quality check for the final product on an assembly line of any manufacturing plant to make it free from any sort of mistakes, defects and foolproof.
In other words, penetration is generally a security test of your website to check how much it is actually secured from attacks.
its simplest form, Burp Suite can be classified as an Interception Proxy. A penetration tester configures their Internet browser to route traffic through the proxy which then acts as a sort of Man In The Middle by capturing and analyzing each request and response to and from the target web application.
The tool has two versions: a free version that can be downloaded free of charge (Free Edition) and a full version that can be purchased after a trial period (Professional Edition). The free version has significantly reduced functionality. It was developed to provide a comprehensive solution for web application security checks.
In addition to basic functionality, such as proxy server, scanner, an intruder, the tool also contains more advanced options such as a spider, a repeater, a decoder, a comparer, an extender and a sequencer.
It is an attacker standing between your computer or any other system and the servers to you want to connect, who can see anything by just typing few commands on his system. All your privacy and information get stored in the system and the consequences are well predictable.
Individual HTTP requests can be paused, manipulated and replayed back to the web server for targeted analysis of parameter specific injection points. Injection points can be specified for manual as well as automated fuzzing attacks to discover potentially unintended application behaviors, crashes and error messages.
Now here are some tools under the package of Burpsuite.
- HTTP Proxy – It operates as a web proxy server, and sits as a man-in-the-middle between the browser and destination web servers. This allows the interception, inspection, and modification of the raw traffic passing in both directions.
- Scanner – A web application security scanner, used for performing automated vulnerability scans of web applications.
- Intruder – This tool can perform automated attacks on web applications. The tool offers a configurable algorithm that can generate malicious HTTP requests. The intruder tool can test and detect SQL Injections, Cross Site Scripting, parameter manipulation and vulnerabilities susceptible brute-force attacks.
- Spider – A tool for automatically crawling web applications. It can be used in conjunction with manual mapping techniques to speed up the process of mapping an application’s content and functionality.
- Repeater – A simple tool that can be used to manually test an application. It can be used to modify requests to the server, resend them, and observe the results.
- Decoder – a tool for transforming encoded data into its canonical form, or for transforming raw data into various encoded and hashed forms. It is capable of intelligently recognizing several encoding formats using heuristic techniques.
- Comparer – A tool for performing a comparison (a visual “diff”) between any two items of data.
- Extender – allows the security tester to load Burp extensions, to extend Burp’s functionality using the security testers own or third-party code (BAppStore)
- Sequencer – a tool for analyzing the quality of randomness in a sample of data items. It can be used to test an application’s session tokens or other important data items that are intended to be unpredictable, such as anti-CSRF tokens, password reset tokens, etc.
Burpsuite is created only for web Penetration testing and for ethical purposes and to enhance the security levels of the system. But the efficiency and capabilities provided by this tool is enormously acclaimed and therefore black hat and grey hat hackers have also started its use in all dark purposes. The result we see daily headlines, defense ministry website got hacked by some hacker group, changed the website URL’s and text and leave their mark on the home page.
Therefore it is utmost important to cross check the system vulnerabilities on a regular basis. The time new tool created and made available, it should be the no. one priority on our to-do list to take a help of an IT security expert and check whether and how much your websites and applications are vulnerable and how it can be made more secure.
Now you have made this far, hit the bell icon on the right of your screen to get instant new post notifications.
Also subscribe to our daily newsletter, ‘THE EVERYDAY APPRISING’ and receive notifications of the post via email.
We promise We don’t spam, Trust Us!